[messages] [Developers] Custom Code Development

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri Jan 11 05:40:58 MST 2013

Thus spake mroyer:
> So... I know I'm asking you to speculate and that's always a slippery
> slope, but...
>
> In your opinion, the better path is to learn Java and Java IDE to create
> custom extensions, then down the road convert them to python, because v4
> release is so far out?  (I know... I know... as I'm typing the question
> I'm realizing only I can really answer that.)

Are you saying that you don't know Java now?

Can you describe what it is that you want your extensions to do?

> That's a good Java IDE?  Eclipse?

I would say there is no good Java IDE, as a special case of there being
no good IDE for anything. I code in vim and am quite happy doing that.
I realize that this is not what everyone wants, though. Some other people
use Eclipse.