[messages] [Feature Requests] hex to Lat/long converter for use with Google Earth

RLWilson ron.l.wilson at charter.net
Sat Jan 12 12:27:08 MST 2013

For all those games that have real world maps (especially hex based
games) it is nice to go look on Google maps to see what the terrain
looks like today. A neat feature that would make this much easier would
be adding a tool in VASSAL that provides the ability to enter the
lat/long for two or three hexes on a map and then have it compute the
lat/long for any other hex on request. If it loaded up the  copy, cut
and paste clipboard with the lat/long in the Google Earth (and Google
Maps) format then one could go and paste that into Google Earth/Maps
and in  short order see where that game hex is as a push pin.

Even cooler would be if it could draw the hex in Google Earth (using KML
files). But that would be extra... and a bit harder to do.

BTW, I used to know a whiz at KML files that would I am sure know how to
do that, but he has long since moved away. But from working with him I
know the latter can be done... that is if there are any other KML whiz
out there that who also knows how.

this would also be a very handy feature if one were building a map. For
one could build a row, load it into Vassal, and then go see where the
adjacent hexes are to the ones already built.