[messages] [Feature Requests] Multilevel gaming

RLWilson ron.l.wilson at charter.net
Sun Jan 13 08:22:40 MST 2013

Now VASSAL to date has focused on replicating existing board games...
and I think that is great. But I can see it also being able to do things
that would be difficult if not impossible to do on a physical board
game. And one of these features I would like to see is to support
multilevel gaming. In a single level game if one zooms the map in,
everything gets bigger. In a multilevel game when one zooms in the map,
one goes into a higher level of game resolution... and not just all the
pieces and map graphics are bigger. For example in a multilevel game if
one is playing a the corp level with hexes say at 10-20 mile scale and
zoom in and the pieces are mostly corps, one then enter  the division
scale, the scale changes (say 5-10 miles0 and the divisions are now
visible, and the corps too are visible, but not as corps but as corp
HQs.

If one moves a corps at the corps level, all the division (at the lower
level) will move with it. But when one zooms down to the division level
one then might have to define where those divisions are in the smaller
hexes..though perhaps they default to the same patter they last were. At
any rate I think this would (literally) add a new dimension to board
gaming... and one that VASSAL could add but would be difficult to do in
a non virtual environment.