[messages] [General Discussion] Vassal 3.2.2 and RAM

DrNostromo drnostromo at drnostromo.com
Mon Jan 14 12:30:38 MST 2013

I'm also beginning to incur some serious memory consumption by Java. As
you know, my builds are highly automated but I don't know if that would
cause such an increase.

Yesterday, I was testing a automated process for calculating and
determining the results of combat between a player and creature. I was
looking for specific results (mainly to see if the creature would run
after a segment of combat). When I didn't get those results, I'd hit
UNDO and try again. After about 8 attempts, the system slowed down to
stand still. When I was finally able to get the task manager open, it
showed that Java was using nearly 2 gigs of memory and any action I took
just increased the usage even higher.

I've also found that If I start with a JVM Initial heap of 512 and a max
of 1 gig, the game runs very slowly and it will crash shortly with less
than that with a Out of Memory error . I've currently got it set to 2
gigs initial and 3 gigs max and I'm start running into some sluggishness
after awhile.

It appears that Java is not releasing unused memory but rather just
piling on more stuff.

Windows 7
Vassal 3.2.2
4 gigs ram
Not sure what version of Java offhand (I'm on a different computer right
now) but it's whatever version Vassal 3.2.2 installed as it was the
first Vassal installation on that other computer.