[messages] [General Discussion] Displaying the name of a saved game

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Jan 29 15:13:45 MST 2013

Thus spake johnzetall:

> I would like to know if there is a way to display the name of a saved
> game.
>
> Having many saves of the same game from the same module, I would like to
> have a mean to be sure I loaded the right version. To do this, it is
> necessary to be able to save the path in a variable, then display this
> variable when needed. I have not found in the documentation (designeŕs
> guide) any hint on how to do this and even if it is at all possible.
>
> Could anyone give me a hint or simply say that it's not possible in
> version 3? And in the coming version 4?

There's presently no way to get the name of an open file in an
expression you can use in traits, unless you write some custom Java
to do it.

It's not clear to me that this is really needed for ensuring that you've
loaded the correct file. Is there some reason why the file description
you can enter when saving is insufficient?