[messages] Edit: Re: [Technical Support & Bugs] Ugly fonts in main console window (and a few other place

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Wed Oct 2 10:57:30 MST 2013

Thus spake tealeaf:

> Thank you for the quick response!
>
> That build definitely enables antialiasing on this system. The hinting
> still seems to be incorrect, but it's much less of a problem than the
> antialiasing. From a quick look around the web it seems that detecting
> and applying system hinting settings is much harder. For now, this is a
> huge improvement.
>
> The other place where this is really noticeable is in the module wizard.
> ("Start New Offline Game / Look for a game online / Load saved game"). I
> imagine that there's an object exposed as part of that dialog that could
> have a similar property enabled?

Sadly, that's burried deep within the wizard library. We don't even
have access to the JDialog object, let alone any of its children. This
is one of the many reasons I detest the wizard library.

> Thanks again for sorting this out so quickly.
>
> (Oh, and Swing is particularly evil on my system. I use Awesome as my
> window manager. Menus and clicking/dragging are almost always in the
> wrong place, and often don't work at all. It's a nightmare.)

Swing has a bunch of stuff hard-coded for various window managers. I
reported a bug about this to Sun once w/r/t Compiz. It's utterly
braindead. We're already doing the only thing we can about it, which is
to stop using Swing after VASSAL 3.2.

> Now, if only the module selection window would disappear once a module
> was selected (or not appear when starting with `vassal -l <module>` I'd
> have no complaints at all... :D

The reason for this is that the Module Manager coordinates module file
access. Otherwise you could start editing an open module, or vice versa.
We had to do this due to some Java limition I've since forgotten about.
This isn't going to change while we're still using Java.