[messages] [Module General Discussion] "Softlink" Reference to another piece in a Game Piece Wi

tuomo tomrepetti at comcast.net
Tue Oct 8 10:48:47 MST 2013

"Brent Easton" wrote:
> You have essentially described the Prototype trait.

Well, but I wasn't meaning to go that high up the chain. Prototypes are
useful as general classes of units or functionalities, but I'm talking
about showing specific game pieces that have different views that can be
shown in the Game Piece Palette.

Think of it like a Pokemon with three different life cycles. Stage 1 is
a Repettibo, a spineless little think not unlike myself. Stage 2 is a
Repettichu, larger with some fangs. Stage 3 is Ragnapetti, huge and
frightening (like my aunt Edna).

All three are represented as different layers within the same game piece
because a Repettibo can ingest a plate of Kansas City BBQ Ribs and
metamorph into a Repettichu under ctrl-R, while a Repettichu can eat an
Entenmann's Crumb Cake to become the epitome of its existence, the
Ragnapetti, with another ctrl-R.

You want to show all three as separate pieces in the Game Piece Palette.
However, the current system requires you to cut and paste that game
piece twice in the Module Editor, which effectively creates three
separate Game Pieces that need to be maintained separately. What would
be nice is to allow Repettibo and Repettichu to point to Ragnapetti,
where the full menu of Traits for this single game piece would be kept.

I understand how Prototypes could be used to solve this problem, but I
don't think you want us creating zillions of different prototypes for
all the different Pokemon out there.