[messages] [Module Design] Ability for players to view board from different sides?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Oct 21 03:42:40 MST 2013

Thus spake cburke:
> Does Vassal support the ability for players to *view* the board from
> different sides? I'm new to Vassal - but wanted to ask before I began a
> module project. A simple example would be two players playing chess and
> each seeing the board from their own side.

That depends on what you mean by "view from your own side". If what
you want is to have the board oriented with your pieces at the bottom
and your opponent's at the top, then the answer is: VASSAL 3 isn't
able to do that as-is, but you could write a custom class to do it.
VASSAL 4 will be able to do that without any custom code, since maps
will be arbitrarily rotatable.