[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Can't run 3.2.8

Grotius grwatson at compuserve.com
Mon Sep 2 21:36:13 MST 2013

I've never had trouble running Vassal before, but now I can't get it to
start.  I double-click the .exe icon, and nothing happens.  I've tried
running in compatibility mode, and running as administrator; no luck.
Also, when I install 3.2.8, I invariably see a message that 3.1.18 is
already installed; I agree to uninstall it; 3.2.8 seems to install; but
it doesn't work.  If I delete the 3.2.8 director and restart, I still
get the message that 3.1.18 is installed.

Here's my info:

Model: AVA Direct, custom-built
OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
CPU: Intel i7 930 at 2.8GHz (quad core)
Memory: 12GB
Video: GeForce GTX 580
VASSAL: 3.2.8
Java:  1.7.0_25 from Oracle Corporation
Module: N/A (though I'm trying to run the TCS module Canadian Crucible)
Chrome is my default browser.

Could Java be the problem?  I've noticed that Chrome always asks
permission when I load a webpage that wants to run Java.

Any help would be appreciated.  This is a bummer.  :(