[messages] [Module Design] Player name associated with player side

capi3101 capi3101a at netscape.net
Tue Sep 10 06:52:33 MST 2013

Lemme give you the short version of my solution - I haven't had
opportunity to test it out this morning. Basically, what I was doing
involved a set of Action Buttons on the main menu; after your players
have rolled dice or picked straws or chucked a live raccoon the furthest
distance or whatever they've done to pick the first player, they would
use those buttons to "log in" as a particular Player Number - a set of
three custom Global Properties (named P01, P02 and P03) serves as
information holders for who's who. Your existing At-Start stack would
contain at least one text label (I'm still working out whether or not
you can get away with just one or if you need three; so far VASSAL has
not been respecting \n as a newline character in 3.2.8), three Set
Global Property traits - each of which sets a particular Player Number
property to the player name of whoever activated it, and three Trigger
Action traits - which 1) watches for the use of a particular button and
2) fires if the selected player number is still blank and if the current
player hasn't already selected a different player number.

Now, that's what I was trying to do last night. It got late enough that
I had to go to bed and it wasn't working then, but then again I hadn't
set up some of the features either. I'll have a little time to work in
VASSAL in about an hour from now; I'll try again, see if I can get it
working, and give you more detailed instructions if it works.