[messages] [Developers] Roadmap for VASSAL 4

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Sep 16 09:25:45 MST 2013

Thus spake b2s:
> Sorry, my point was you could use the existing components within the
> netbeans platform.  I personally have never seen the "big re-write" in
> the sky work successfully.

The problems we have are with Java (language limitations, JDK bugs,
deployment) and architecture, not so much with GUI components (though I
do want to update those as well). I don't see that NetBeans helps with
either sort of problem.

I would not advocate rewriting a large project unless I saw no
alternative. I've been working to clean up the current codebase in
order to avoid a rewrite since 2006. We're in a much better place now
in terms of code quality then we were then, but the things which we've
fixed since 2006 have largely been problems which can be fixed locally.
The architectural problems we now need to fix aren't like that. They
touch virtually every part of VASSAL. Shoehorning these changes into the
existing codebase would be at least as much work as the changes
themselves---and even after that, we would still have the problems that
come from Java.