[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Cards not drawing when dragged since Java update

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sat Sep 28 00:30:28 MST 2013

Thus spake Brigz:
> I have also had this problem. When dragging counters from one location
> to the other using the mouse, the counter disappears and does not
> reappear until the mouse button is released. I have written to this
> forum asking how to remedy this but no one was able to help. I also have
> reinstalled Vassal several times, up to the current version.

The only problem that reinstalling VASSAL will ever solve is if some
of VASSAL's files are corrupted. If that happens, you probably won't
be able to start VASSAL. Therefore: If you can start VASSAL,
reinstalling is unlikely to solve your problem. I wish we could convey
to everyone that reinstalling VASSAL is a waste of time except in very
specific circumstances.

Your particular problem is caused by a change in behavior from Java 6
to Java 7. I haven't had time yet to look into whether it's a
documented change in behavior or if VASSAL was relying on undocumented
behavior in Java 6---in which case the problem is ours---or whether we
are relying on unchanged, documented behavior, in which case it is a
bug in Java 7.

For the time being, if you want this to work properly, use Java 6.