[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Ugly fonts in main console window (and a few other places)

tealeaf joss-vassal at pseudonymity.net
Mon Sep 30 03:03:28 MST 2013

Hi,

I'm running Vassal 3.2.8 under Arch Linux, with OpenJDK.

java version "1.7.0_40"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.2) (ArchLinux build
7.u40_2.4.2-1-x86_64)

My _JAVA_OPTIONS are:
"-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd
-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel"

This all works, and gives me nice antialiased text in all applications.

The odd case I have with VASSAL is that just the console window, where I
type chat comments and where move actions are logged, has horrible,
jagged-edged fonts. This is also the case for the Startup Wizard when I
first open a module. The windows and menus themselves all have nicely
antialiased and hinted fonts. Modules (tested mainly with Arkham Horror)
also seem to show antialiased fonts for text that they display in the
main window. I've tested this in Arkham Horror and At the Gates of
Loyang.

I've tested VASSAL on a Windows system here, and it works fine there.
All other fonts seem to work as well on my Linux machine, except for
these one or two places.

I've had a little dig around the source code, but it would take me quite
a while to work out what is doing what where. Does anyone have any
ideas? I've reproduced a screenshot demonstrating the problem:

[1]

One thought at the moment is that it's just a particular font being used
there that either isn't installed, or that is somehow very ugly due to
my font settings. I can't quite work out the specifics, though.

[1] http://www.pseudonymity.net/~joss/img/20130930-console_ugly_fonts.png