[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Ugly fonts in main console window (and a few other places)

tealeaf joss-vassal at pseudonymity.net
Mon Sep 30 11:05:47 MST 2013

(Just replying to my own question.)

It does seem related to font hinting, and the inability to control it in
Java Swing applications under OpenJDK.

I didn't realise, though, that each module had its own preferences for
fonts. Playing around, I've found that one or two of the fonts on my
system don't look too bad if I set them to the right size, and so have
selected one of those.

It's still a little dissatisfying as it doesn't match the fonts on the
rest of my system, but it's much better than the screenshot I posted
above.

If anyone does know about changing this, or has run into the same
problem or potential solutions, I'd love to hear them.