[messages] [Module Design] Hidden Units

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Tue Apr 8 06:06:48 CEST 2014

On 8/04/2014 1:35 AM, Greggy wrote:
> I give up. I'm not a programmer and just can't seem to get this to work
> no matter what I try.  :cry:
> HELP! What do I need to do to have an invisible unit automatically
> become visible to the other side at a specified distance??? :?
> I even tried to decipher the wiki Programming Tutorial. HA! Like I said,
> I'm not a programmer.  :)

Vassal was not designed to do this, so it is quite difficult. I believe
some players have developed convoluted methods of doing this, but it is
likely to be ugly. The basic mechanism would be to update the Map and
specify a keystroke that is applied to every unit that lands on the map.
Then each unit can respond to this keystroke by issuing a Global Key
Command with a Restrict Range option to all counters within a given
range. The 'target' counters would then need to respond to this Global
key command by determining if they are invisible (A Trigger Action with
a test for InvisibleToOthers=true) and make themselves visible.

Brent.