[messages] [Module General Discussion] What are bounces ?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Thu Apr 17 18:58:37 CEST 2014

Thus spake panther 2010:
> Yes, I know this is not the right place to sent this request, but I see
> no other alternative.
>
> I received twice a mail like this :
>
> "Your membership in the mailing list messages has been disabled due to
> excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
> 11-Apr-2014.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
> you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 3 more reminders like
> this before your membership in the list is deleted."
>
> Any further attemps to send a mail to obtain explanations about what
> happened failed  and the following error message was received :
>
> "MAILER-DAEMON at yahoo.com Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message
> to the following address. <messages-owner at vassalengine.org>: Mail server
> for "vassalengine.org" unreachable for too long --- Below this line is a
> copy of
> To Me
>
> Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
>
> <messages-owner at vassalengine.org>:
> Mail server for "vassalengine.org" unreachable for too long."
>
> Now, I'm not a computer savvy and I don't have the faintest idea of what
> the hell "bounces" are,
>
> Please explain clearly what the problem is so that I can avoid it
> happening again in the future.
>
> Thank you.

You're subscribed to the mailing list which is bridge to the forum.
The problem is that a few days ago, Yahoo made a change to its email
setup which breaks pretty much every mailing list on the internet for
its users. Here's a summary:

We haven't figured out what to do about this yet, which is a special
case of pretty much nobody having figured out what to do about this
yet. The solution I suspect we'll have to adopt if Yahoo doesn't relent
is to kick everyone with a Yahoo address off the list.