[messages] [Module Design] Independent, Non-linear UNDOs

Charles McLellan cgmclellan2000 at knology.net
Thu Apr 24 20:54:53 CEST 2014

There was a great deal of discussion on ConsimWorld's forum regarding
making non-linear UNDOs. I have a module, imported from ADC2, which I
wish to modify to accomplish this. Here is what I want to do:

I want VASSAL to remember the starting location of say 200 units on a
map. I want be able to move all or some of the 200 pieces in any order
to any ending location on that map.

The critical feature is that want to be able to go back and easily
return say the 26th piece moved (called it "26") to its start location
at any time during the move. (Don't worry about the legality or effect
upon any other unit, just return 26 to its starting location.) Now I
want to be able to move 26 again to a new location retaining 26's the
memory of its original starting location but discarding any memory of
26's first move and the location to which it initially moved. I now want
VASSAL to remember 26's new ending location.

I want to repeatedly do that to any other piece or all pieces that moved
or may move during the turn. Maybe move one unit back and forth several
times. In the end, I want VASSAL to remember just the starting and final
ending location of all 200 pieces.

I would also like VASSAL NOT to put those lines and dots all over the
map – no lines and no dots. And, I would like VASSAL to NOT make a log
file thing that shows all moves and UNDOs, just notes and die rolls. It
would be ideal if upon instruction, VASSAL would list, as the logfile,
the beginning and ending of units, but nothing else. That could be done
before adding any notes or die rolls.

That way we could move an impulse (there are two impulses per
Player-Turn), list the starting and ending location of all units, add
notes, roll dice, implement results (some small moves and removal of
units), start a new impulse second move (again remembering only the new
starting and ending location of units of this impulse), list these new
starting and ending locations, add notes, roll dice, implement results,
save the whole logfile and transmit it to an opponent for his turn.

Now, from playing VASSAL I can surmise that VASSAL currently remembers
the starting location of all 200 pieces. I know this because whether I
open a log file or a saved game, all the pieces are shown in their
original locations. OK, VASSAL is part way there.

I asked for help from Joel Koepp and Tim McCarron couple of weeks ago
but they have not been able to respond.

Can anyone here point me in the direction that I want to go.

I am not current in Java. I only knew it back in the mid-1990's (Java
1.0). I guess that I will need to catch up with almost 20 years of
progress.

Thanks to any body who is willing to help.