[messages] [Feature Requests] Hex to Lat/long converter

Jeffrey Brent McBeth mcbeth at broggs.org
Fri Apr 25 16:34:42 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 02:08:13PM +0000, RLWilson wrote:
> With tools like Goggle Earth and Google Maps, Google Street View and
> such it would be nice if there was a handy and quick way to compute the
> Lat/Long of any hex. The way the tool might work is that the user enters
> the lat/long of two or three hexes (that are easy to locate on a Google
> map and then the  app would compute the lat/Long for all the other hexes
> and display them in a format that they could be copy and past into
> Google maps et al so that one can quickly see what that hex looks like
> (maybe not in 1944) but at least how it looks today.

Projections and artistic license will screw this up horribly.
For example, I took an orienteering map (which are supposed to be usable with compass and pace counting for finding things) and tried to get a GPS track to line up with it, and even the differences between GPS and what ever local state datum the club used were unreconcilable, even with nearly 15 well spread tie points.  How you would get game maps to line up, with artistic license and playability trumping how well things hew to the WGS-84 would be an absolute miracle.

There are good GIS tools that you could use to get started building maps, but I would guess this would be well out of scope for something like VASSAL.

Welcome to the wide wooley world of coordinate transforms!

Jeff

--
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."