[messages] [Module Design] Calculated Property as Layer (for Game Piece Layers)

dsdhornet david.a.fenton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 08:34:34 CEST 2014

I am attempting to create a module in which pieces have variable layer
settings.

In one case, airships have different elevations which can change during
play (elevation can be 1 through 3).  I would like the uppermost
airships to be drawn on top of the lower ships.

In another case, I am wanting to use calculated properties to determine
if a piece (airship component) belongs to the selected (active) ship.  I
already have the selection buttons working.  If the piece belongs, the
property is "Active", otherwise it is "None".  I would then use this
property (along with a Game Piece Layer Control) to hide from view any
pieces that were "None".  This is basically used so that I can have a
single Map window that shows details for the currently selected ship.
Since the number (and name, type, make-up, etc) of ships are not already
known, I can't just predetermine all the Layers.

However, in practice, I find that changing the Calculated Property does
not change the apparent Game Piece Layer of the piece.  I.e.  All pieces
are added to the component screen while no ship is selected (all have
cActive="None").  After selecting a ship (and having the Calculated
Property 'cActive' change value to "Active", as verified using a visible
label), hiding "None" pieces hides everything.

Interestingly, I find that if I change some other property in the piece,
any status changes will actually carry over to Game Piece Layers, and
the piece may be hidden properly.  However, if the piece is later
revealed and deleted, it will leave behind an undeletable shadow (that
seems to always be "None").  I can also not get the changed piece back
behave as if it's "None" (the change is one-way).

Anyone have any idea what's going on?  Or how to get variable Game Piece
Level assignments to work?  I have not tested elevation stuff out yet,
but expect the outcome would be the same.

Steps to repeat issue with attached file:

1.  Start new game.
2.  Show 'Pieces' and 'Ship Selection' windows.
3.  Copy 'Stat-Title' piece from Pieces->Other to somewhere on HML Raven
(in Ship Selection window).  Copy any other pieces you want from
Pieces->Slots or Pieces->Other to HML Raven.
4.  On HML Raven, right-click 'Load Ship' button and select 'Load Ship'.
 Ship will appear on map, and all components will be copied to 'Active
Ship' window (assigned to HML Raven).
5.  Add or delete components from HML Raven window as desired, but leave
the 'Stat-Title' piece.
6.  Right-click 'Stat-Title' piece and select 'Change Ship Name'.
Rename ship whatever you want.
7.  Repeat step 4.  New ship will be placed on map (probably over
HMLRaven...but just drag is elsewhere).
8.  Note that all components have "None" shown in green.
9.  Click on center of either ship.  Log should show that ship was
selected, and green label on all associated equipment should change to
say "Active".
10.  Click 'Hide Inactive' button on 'ActiveShip' map a few times.
Notice how both "Active" and "None" pieces disappear together.
11.  When one ship is selected, choose an "Active" component, and change
something..."Class" on Stat-Title, 'Destroy' (not delete) a component,
etc.
12.  Click 'Hide Inactive' and notice that some "Active" pieces now
remain instead of disappearing.
13.  Try deleting an "Active" component.  Notice that a shadow appears
(always acting as if "None", even if the label says "Active").  Notice
that this shadow piece cannot be deleted, and acts like it is on the
Pieces area.