[messages] [Module Design] Independent, Non-linear UNDOs

Charles McLellan cgmclellan2000 at knology.net
Sat Apr 26 21:51:11 CEST 2014

What Tim McCarron's Demo does works fine. There is NO Logfile and NO
movement trail. Any of the pieces move, and when directed, move back to
start. That is exactly what we want. I am still trying to figure out how
that works.

The only thing that would be better is a single command that finalizes
ALL pieces at the same time rather than requiring each piece's move to
be finalized independently.

The movements trails are NOT useful and only obscure movement of other
pieces. For example, take say 50 pieces and move them back and forth
over the same relatively small region. You end with a massive web that
hides everything. So, NO movement trails please.

The Logfile itself is NOT wanted. We just want to be able to move the
pieces back and forth in any random order. We are only interested in the
start and final ending locations of the piece. We do not care what has
happen to any individual piece between the time it starts and ends its
move.

So, your procedure is fine providing that in "1," the undo moves can be
made in a non-linear manner and no movement trails or Logfiles are
produced.

Logging beginning with "3" and movement trails in "4" are acceptable.

Actually, each side has only about 100 pieces and with losses, that
total number is rarely reached.  With relatively low movement factors,
it is generally not difficult to keep tabs on all units just by knowing
their beginning and ending positions. There is a game engine that does
this now for us, but it is 20 years old and showing aging signs. The
hard thing to understand is why no system today can emulate its
performance.

This is an old game from the 70s. Game rules at that time rarely stated
anything regarding once you removed your hand, you could not go back and
redo a move. Further, much play was conducted in Play By Mail -- real
stamped mail. In those plays, forms were exchanged which only listed
beginning and ending locations. You were not shown the path of movement
or any reconsiderations of a move before the final position. Maybe you
are not that old -- I am. (Although I was not a Play By Mail player.)