[messages] Edit: Re: [Module Design] Independent, Non-linear UNDOs

JoelCFC25 jkoepp at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 19:21:09 CEST 2014

[This message has been edited.]

"Charles McLellan" wrote:
> I cannot seem to find out how to add something to the left side of
> those windows. Every thing that I do errors. When I try to Import to
> the Available Traits in the ReturnToStart [Definition] in the Game
> Piece Prototype Definitions, all I seem to be able to do is get a
> Custom Class Error. The Help list doesn't show those Current Traits
> that your Demo has and I can't seem to find a way to get them added. I
> am missing something!

This sounds like a misunderstanding of how to edit a game piece. When
editing a Prototype or an individual game piece, the "Available Traits"
pane on the left shows you the list of traits that can be added to your
Prototype or piece--you aren't meant to be adding things to the list on
the left. You want to be choosing from the list of items on the left and
then clicking the "Add ->" button in the middle area that separates the
two panes to add it to "Current Traits" in the righthand pane. The
"Import" button you tried to use is for very advanced users who are
programming their own custom abilities in Java.

Think of the lefthand pane as the menu at a restaurant. The righthand
pane is your dinner plate, where everything you've chosen from the menu
ends up. Once you've added an item from the lefthand pane to the
righthand pane, you can double-click this item __in the righthand pane__
to access its properties and settings.

I recommend opening Tim's example module in the Editor at the same time
as you have your module also open in the Editor, so you can position
their respective windows side-by-side. For example, in the single
Prototype definition he made, double-click "Dynamic Property - HasMoved"
to see its details. In __your__ module, try to add a new blank Dynamic
Property to your piece (or Prototype, whichever you're trying to do).
Mimic Tim's exactly. Do this for each of the 6 traits found in Tim's
Prototype definition.

Does that start to make sense? You can see this demonstrated visually in
Joel Toppen's Youtube video here at approximately the 3 minute 45 second
mark:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXmUDTMJzM0[1]

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXmUDTMJzM0