[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Installed 3.2.10 runs as though it's 3.2.9 and won't go

JoelCFC25 jkoepp at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 22:46:43 CET 2014

"alsandor" wrote:
> Now it's even  worse.  I uninstalled 3.2.7, made sure it was not there
> anymore, and installed 3.2.10 and now all I get is a bug report which
> says I'm still running 3.2.7.

What method did you use to uninstall 3.2.7? From the Control Panel's
Programs and Features list? During the installation of 3.2.10 (did you
choose Standard or Custom)? Using the uninst.exe in the VASSAL
directory?

Whichever method was used, it obviously failed, because from your
errorlog, it's clear that the copy of VASSAL is indeed 3.2.7, and it's
running out of:  __C:\Program Files (x86)\VASSAL__

If you are using a shortcut (either on your Desktop or in your Start
Menu) to launch VASSAL, I'm pretty sure that if you right-click this
shortcut, get its Properties, and look at its target, it will be:
__C:\Program Files (x86)\VASSAL\VASSAL.exe__

Now if you browse your hard drive to __C:\Program Files__  _**note the
missing "(x86)", this is intentional**_, you should find a VASSAL
directory. This is where 3.2.10 was installed--it's the new default
location as of 3.2.9.

You can either update your existing shortcut to point to the VASSAL.exe
here, or create a new one manually. It's fine to manually delete the
__C:\Program Files (x86)\VASSAL__ directory if you want to remove 3.2.7
entirely.

In summary, something with the uninstall did not work, and you have 2
versions installed simultaneously:

3.2.7 here:  __C:\Program Files (x86)\VASSAL__
3.2.10 here:  __C:\Program Files\VASSAL__

...and your shortcut wasn't updated to point to the version you intend
to run.