[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Installed 3.2.10 runs as though it's 3.2.9 and won't go away

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sat Feb 15 00:10:22 CET 2014

Thus spake alsandor:

> > This is the intended behavior when running the VASSAL installer and
> > choosing the Standard option (it looks to find all previous versions
> > of VASSAL, then runs the uninstaller for each of them).
>

> So how come that didn't work before when I installed 3.2.10 and I ended
> up with that version and 3.2.9?  I realize they are located in different
> directories, but shouldn't it know where the previous one was and erase
> it?

There are various ways things can go wrong on Windows. Uninstallers
can fail due to permissions problems, or because something was holding
files open when you tried to uninstall, among other things. Our
unininstaller knows what files it should uninstall, but if Windows
prevents it from doing that there's nothing further our installer can
do.

If you're really serious about determining exactly why this kind of
thing happens on Windows, the only way is to examine the evidence
after it happens---before doing more things like: running another
installer or uninstaller, running VASSAL agian, etc. In that case, we'll
need quite a lot more detail about the state of your system in order
to investigate, but I am willing to do it if you are, since this
sometimes turns up bugs which are ours.