[messages] Edit: Re: [Technical Support & Bugs] 3.2.11 Mac too slow (+ other oddity)

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Feb 16 11:58:17 CET 2014

Thus spake bdgza:

> I can't remember now if this is a normal setup or if I changed this
> manually for some reason to get something else to work (or attempt to
> work). Java is a pile of steaming manure :(.

Concur. I'll be so happy to see the back of it. It's the height of
irony that the time I spend dealing with platform-specific issues these
days is mostly involves a language and libraries which are supposedly
platform-independent.

> Edit: I checked on my other Mac with 3.2.12-9013 and it launches with
> Java 6. So I think it's just what I did to my iMac that is causing this.

Yes, I suspect that you adjusted the links yourself. I would argue that
Oracle's Java 7 *ought* to do that when it's installed, but as it
doesn't, we have to assume that no one will have these.

Anyway, I'm happy to know about the CurrentJDK links---we now check
there as well, so we shouldn't get any complaints about VASASL not
starting for people with a JDK but no JRE.