[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Mon Feb 17 09:38:09 CET 2014

Thus spake sithstalker:

> I have the same situation that others have described. Once the program
> is installed, it starts once. After that, it will only start again if
> one restarts the PC. Also, when I use the uninstall program, it leaves
> the Vassal folder containing the "lib" folder, so the PC has to be
> restarted again to remove those.

As I've said, all of this is consistent with some process holding open
VASSAL's files.

> I do not get any error messages; the
> program just doesn't start. So, when I brought up the error logs, there
> was no record.

How did you "bring up the error logs"? Did you do this by looking at the
errorLog file, or through the Module Manager after the first run
attempt?

> I tried again with the newly posted Version 3.2.11 and
> still have the same problems.

That's unsurprising, because there's nothing in 3.2.11 which would
address the problem you're having.

Before attempting to launch VASSAL, check in the Windows task manger
whether java.exe is already running. My suspicion is that it will not be
on your first (successful) attempt and will be on subsequent (failed)
attempts. Please let us know whether this is the case.