[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Vassal-3.2.10 wont start

Rindis rindis at backbreaker.com
Mon Feb 24 01:49:48 CET 2014

"uckelman" wrote:
> Thus spake Rindis:
> > >
> > > Did you check the box telling the installer to create a desktop
> > > shortcut
> > > for this install?
> >
> > No. I never use desktop shortcuts, and always use the Start Menu (or
> > Start screen, in the case of Win 8, here). I don't know if a desktop
> > shortcut would have been replaced/updated, but the Start/App Menu
> one
> > was not.
>
> Did the most recent 3.2.12 build do the right thing in this regard?

Okay, this gets complicated:

Since the given problem was the shortcut not switching over correctly on
Win 8, I uninstalled Vassal and installed 3.2.8, which installs to the
'(x86)' directory.

Then I did a standard install of 3.2.12-svn9019 (which is what I did
with .11 earlier). Install goes fine, Vassal launches at the end of the
install. Close, and go to the Start/App Menu. Vassal is there, but
refuses to launch. Try a couple more times: nothing. Check everything:
Vassal is indeed in the (x86) directory, the shortcut is pointing there;
everything looks fine. Try a couple more times: nothing.

Open Task Manager: There is about a dozen copies of "Java(TM) Platform
SE binary" listed, plus one that says, "Java(TM) Platform SE binary (32
bit)". I can close the former, but not that last one. Clean up the
various extra copies: Vassal starts. (I have seen this situation once
before recently, but wasn't paying attention enough to know how I got
there, or what I was doing at the time.)

Close Vassal, copy of Java appears in Task Manager. Try to start Vassal.
No Vassal, but a second copy of Java appears in Task Manager. End task
on those two, go to menu, Vassal starts this time. (I poke around after
this, and it looks like full sequence is: Launch Vassal, copy of Java
appears, Module Manager comes up, copy of Java disappears, exit Vassal,
copy of Java reappears.)

Back to main task: Install 3.2.12-svn9019. Message: "Windows protected
your PC -- Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from
starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk." Run anyway.

Standard install goes fine, and the menu shortcut now points at the
standard (64-bit) directory, and will launch Vassal fine. However, the
Java problem causing it to not be able to launch twice in a row (as
above) persists.

"uckelman" wrote:
> > Um, no, it's not. __All__ the file extension associations went away.
> > *.vsav, *.vmod, *.vlog....
>
> Same question.
>
> --
> J.

Windows 7; Custom Install

Start installer, and the 'Remove Old Versions' dialog only shows 3.1.20.
3.2.11, which is installed on the machine (I've been running it), and is
listed in the Control Panel uninstall list, does not show in the Vassal
installer dialog.

Rest of the install goes fine. File associations are back.

I tend to suspect that something odd (and likely inexplicable) just
happened when I installed 3.2.11 on my main machine. But the fact that
the installer can't see the previous version is interesting.