[messages] [General Discussion] Ever-growing save/log file size

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Jul 1 09:28:57 CEST 2014

Thus spake Benkyo:
> I don't know whether it is due to changes made in my module or to Vassal
> itself, but my save game and log files are now over 15 MB uncompressed
> and over 700 KB when compressed. It's not really a problem, as such, but
> why are these files so huge, and does anyone have any general advice on
> how to avoid them getting bigger? I remember over a year ago save game
> and log files for the same module came in under 300 KB, so if there is
> anything that can be done without compromising on module functions I'd
> like to know about it.

We've changed nothing in how the data in saved games and logs are stored
in quite a long time. (I don't recall when we've ever made such a change,
in fact, so that would put it at least 8 years ago.) If you're getting
larger saves, it's due to some change in your module.

700KB is tiny. It's so small as not to be worth thinking about, given
the amount of storage devices have these days. You're wasting your time
by trying to do anything about it.

The reason saves and logs have such a high compression ratio is that our
storage format contains a huge amount of redundancy. Most of that will
be gone in VASSAL 4. We're not in a position to do anything about it in
VASSAL 3.2.