[messages] Edit: Re: [General Discussion] Play Sound and mp3 files

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Jul 1 09:57:26 CEST 2014

Thus spake Filip:

> It was never my intention to tell you what you should do with your
> project.

It wouldn't bother me if it were. In fact, I'd *prefer* it. If you're
not going to, I don't see what the point of this discussion is.

> However, as for the networking problem and your capacity to troubleshoot
> specifically, I recall explaining in some thread what was wrong with
> your early 3.2 private servers solution (I had to fix the same issues in
> our 3.1.20 hack). However, instead of a rather simple fix you preferred
> to do much more work and returned to unreliable P2P mode. Seriously, I
> know next to nothing about programming and networking, but I somehow
> managed to get my private server hack working properly with but a simple
> modification, while at the same time whoever maintains that part decided
> to code a lot only to arrive with new bugs and problems.

Could you provide a link to this? I can't find what you're referringi
to.

> Years ago, I started using VASSAL because it was the closest thing to
> what I needed that was available at the time. Still, I'm using it for
> something it wasn't specifically designed for (tabletop RPGs as opposed
> to traditional board games).

There's a big difference between what VASSAL was originally designed for
(Advanced Squad Leader) and what you can do wit it now. I don't see why
it can't be suitable for both.

> There's no point to bother you with
> features and changes I need when you clearly know where you're going
> with the project.

This saddens me. You seem to think that I'm impervious to suggestions.

I would like to understand your use case. If you want a feature in
VASSAL 4, now is the time to make sure we undertand what it is you want.