[messages] Edit: Re: [General Discussion] Ever-growing save/log file size

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Jul 1 16:05:48 CEST 2014

Thus spake Benkyo:

> >700KB is tiny. It's so small as not to be worth thinking about, given
> >the amount of storage devices have these days. You're wasting your time
> >by trying to do anything about it.
>
> That's like, your opinion man. (sorry, out of place Big Lebowski
> reference).

Let me tell you something, pendejo... :)

500 saves at 700KB each is only 341MB. That's hardly anything. If you're
having trouble storing that amount of data, I'll mail you a 2GB flash
drive I'm not using. Seriously.

Anyhow, VASSAL 4 saves and logs will be much, much smaller, as a side-
effect of a better log and save format. (My estimate is that they'll be
about two orders of magnitude smaller for the same data, based on some
testing I did with gzip.)