[messages] [Module Support] Error with Twilight Struggle Version 3.1.1

Hetfield72 bpierce72 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 21:04:51 CEST 2014

"JoelCFC25" wrote:

> "Hetfield72" wrote:
> > Update: I was able to successfully join a game with someone after
> > they initiated it. This happened when I was trying to duplicate the
> > error. He determined he was running an identical Vassal and TS
> > module as me. This is the first person it has worked with recently,
> > but I am still able to get the error by joining any other game. It
> > still fails 99% of the time.
>

> In the previous attempted games where you were getting the error, had
> you verified before starting that the other person was using the
> __exact__ same module version as you?
>
> I only ask because I played a couple games online recently and found
> that the vast majority of the people playing live on VASSAL are still
> using the older Twilight Struggle module (3.0.11). At one point I
> asked someone why this would be, and he responded that he doesn't like
> the newest one because he perceives all the prompts that come up to be
> excessive handholding. I don't share that view at all, but perhaps it
> explains why so many players persist in using the older module.

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the helpful comment. I actually spent this evening testing
your theory and I think you are exactly right! I tried games with 10
different people. It failed with 8 of them, but each of them was using
some other type of module. Some claimed, just as you said, that they
only play with the old module because of fewer prompts. Others swore
they had the newest module, but when I clicked on their profile I saw it
wasn't the case. The 2 games that did work were with others running the
exact same module as me.

So in the end it looks like it was just stupidity on my part for not
realizing people were using other versions of the module. My advice to
anyone that comes across this thread in the future is to not take
anyone's word for it that they have the most up to date module. Right
click their name and look at their profile to confirm. This will save
you a lot of headaches! My mistake earlier was just taking people's word
for it.

Thanks Joel and everyone for the helpful comments. I really appreciate
you taking the time to help out a Vassal newbie :)