[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Module hangs on a Deleted map

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sat Jul 12 11:32:19 CEST 2014

Thus spake austeve79:
> Why does my VASSAL module attempt to load a map I deleted? I initially
> attempted to use a single map to make my module and discovered I
> couldn't fit the VASSAL hex grid to the whole map thus decided to split
> the map into 4 pieces, each with its own name . I deleted the original
> map, then added the 4 map sections, each with a hex grid.

The map image is still in the images directory of the module. That's
why it's being tiled the first time the module is loaded. If you're not
using that image, remove it from the module using a ZIP archiver. (A
module is just a ZIP archive.)

>  So when the module loads, it attempts to load the non-existent map, and
> 'hangs' for about 10 to 30 seconds. Afterwards, the images complete
> 'tiling', and the modules works fine.

Nothing is hanging. There's some work during tiling during which we
get no feedback from Java about progress, which is what you're seeing.
Progress bars won't be like this in VASSAL 4; I don't want to sink
effort for smoothly estimating progress into VASSAL 3.2.