[messages] [Module Design] Questions about Prototyping and Best Practices

comdotski treade at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 15 10:14:39 CEST 2014

Rommel14

I am in a development process for a new module for Sword of Rome and
have made extensive use of prototypes.

I have been heavily influenced by the work done in the TS module
(credit), which leverages prototypes heavily and combines card artwork
(layer traits) and card behaviour (trigger traits) together. As a best
practice this ensures you get a visual confirmation with associated
behaviours all at the right 'level'. Change and improvements become
sensible and appropriate to the change being performed.

This prototype structure is for card driven games (specifically the
family of games from GMT) and I think represents a design pattern as
such for these types of games that could be re-used in other similar
games. A link to some documentation I have included in the thread for
this is here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6288&start=45#p44755

I hope this is the sort of thing you are after.

Tim