[messages] [Module Design] Problem using Clone and Send To Location Traits Together

comdotski treade at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 15 10:29:45 CEST 2014

OK ... I will post the details here in case that helps generate some
interest.

What I'm trying to do and why ...

Many Sword of Rome cards have events that bring leaders and / or
reinforcements into play. For most of these reinforcements strength of
Combat Units (CUs) is known, so I want to automatically bring these new
counters into the play area to speed up play.

I am struggling with the the best way to do this, but have tried the
following approach which is partially working.

For Leader counters, this is fairly easy, as there is a fixed number and
type of counters. Here it is just a matter of using Global Key Commands
from the cards and Triggers on counters (on another map) watching for
the GKC, to then enable sending the Leaders from at start stacks to a
reinforcement zone on the main map (by triggering a Send To Location
trait).

The same technique doesn't really work for CUs, as CUs of the same side
and strength can be brought into play for many different events, i.e.
they are not really unique like leaders. Also, some of these events can
occur multiple times through repeated play of the same card during play
(the ones that bring CU only into the game). As such use of at start
stacks as per the above description for leaders does not work that well.
I have tried to use the Clone trait to reproduce a piece before sending
it to the reinforcement zone (to enable later clones and sending to
occur), but this will not work reliably.

So I've been trying to use the clone approach from pieces in at start
stack - note that the clone approach seems to work well except for this
one problem.

Any immediately following activity (move, click) on the card - which
initiated the clone and send to location behaviour on the piece in the
at start stack - causes the cloned piece to be moved as well. It gets
moved to a different location, to the nearest location (irregular grid
used with snap to grid on) in the top left hand corner of the map.

Alternatively, if the card is not the subject of the next activity (e.g.
click or move another piece) then the cloned piece stays in the at start
stack it was created in.

Struggling with this one. Any help appreciated. If I need to post vmod
files please let me know.

Please help if you can, or offer an alternate approach.