[messages] [Developers] Custom class version checks

uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Thu Jul 17 12:18:59 CEST 2014

Over the past two weeks, we've had 49 bug reports from a popular module
which has custom classes which were compiled without ensuring that they
were Java 5 compatible. This is frustrating for users and wastes a lot
of our time. I notified the maintainer of this module and found that he
was unaware that he needed to compile his class files to be Java 5
compatible. (Because he was compiling with Java 7, his class files were
failing to load for everyone with Java 5 and Java 6.)

I'd like to add a warning dialog which appears when incompatibly
compiled classes are loaded. This will be annoying if you're using a
module which has them---which is the whole point of it. The text I have
for the dialog is:

Title: Custom Code Should Be Recompiled

Heading: The Custom Code In This Module Should Be Recompiled

Text: This module contains custom Java code (<name of class>) which was
not compiled to be Java 5 compatible. As a result, this module will not
run on all versions of Java which VASSAL itself supports. Please contact
the maintainer of this module and request that it be fixed.

The idea is that for modules which have the problem now (which I believe
to be very few), this will cause the maintainers to get some emails from
users asking for the problem to be fixed, and for modules yet to be
created, the creators will see this themselves and fix the problem.

What do you guys think?