[messages] Edit: Re: [Developers] Custom class version checks

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri Jul 18 22:47:56 CEST 2014

Thus spake Tim M:
> [This message has been edited.]
>
> It's a good idea but I think you should put the annoyance more on the
> developer - not the user. In a lot of cases users dont even know who the
> module developer is or even how to contact them, especially if they dont
> provide contact info. As such to be sure I would be reaching the right
> people this pertains to I would propose this:

I'm conflicted about this. One one hand, I see your point---some users
may have no recourse. My reason for asking the user to notify the module
maintainer is that it encourages the problem to be self-correcting for
modules with enough users that we get a significant number of bug
reports. It's a way to turn an email from us to the module maintainer---
which would be easy to ignore---into some pressure from users.

> Whenever the developer goes to bring in their custom class through the
> "add imported class" selection. Where the Input dialog box pops up
> change the text from "Enter fully-qualified name of Java class to
> import" to something like "Enter fully qualified name of Java 5 compiled
> class to import" or before the input box pops up have a class compile
> warning dialog box pop up first that they have to hit ok to that will
> open up the input box.

Hmm. What would you think about refusing to import incompatible classes
in the editor, instead of giving a warning but doing it anyway?

> Furthermore if the developer prefers to go in through the backdoor via
> the buildfile, in almost everycase they have to do some sort of editing
> around the <VASSAL.build.module.BasicCommandEncoder/> line.
> If it is possible maybe you can build in a comment around this line
> saying "Make sure your stuff is compiled in Java 5". That way they'll
> always see it

Adding a comment would be easy, I think.