[messages] [Module Design] Follow-Up to Grid Numbering Problems

Rommel14 pfell.688 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 03:51:34 CEST 2014

Folks,

I'm still having serious issues with grid-related stuff:

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4595

and I've found something else that seems strange.

Whenever I try to trigger an event based on the movement of a piece
along a track, the trigger does not fire until I LEAVE the grid location
/ region in question.  It is as though the detection code does not run
until I'm exiting the place named in the trigger.  Is there a specific
reason for this?

Also, when I start a new game and try to advance a counter from the
beginning of a track, it doesn't move on the first key press.  The first
key press  appears to cause the detection code to run, thereby telling
the piece where it actually sits, but doesn't actually move it.  When I
set up a report to test this, it reports that the piece has entered the
first location on the track.  ???  On the second key press, the piece
moves forward, as though the piece now has some idea of its location.
When I try to reverse direction, the piece still moves one more space
forward before it reverses direction, and the reports indicate this as
well.  ???  Is this normal?

More importantly, is there a way to tell the pieces to update their
current location at the beginning of the game, that way they function
normally right from the start?  I'm having to do all kids of code yoga
to get what would seem to be very simple results.

Thanks for any help!  With all the weird things happening with grids,
I'm ripping out my hair.