[messages] [Module Design] Follow-Up to Grid Numbering Problems

Brent Easton b.easton at exemail.com.au
Mon Jul 21 05:49:04 CEST 2014

Hi,

It sounds to me like there is a bug in your module. It is next to
impossible to diagnose these sort of problems based on a description of
what is happening. Even with the module available, they are often so
complex, that it is extremely difficult and time consuming to debug.

So, the recommended procedure is to try and recreate the problem you are
having in a new, cut-down module with just one track and a couple of
pieces and just the minimum traits you need to implement the behavior
and illustrate the issue. That has 2 benefits:-

1. You may well be able to diagnose the problem yourself once you
simplify the situation to the simplest case. If it works in the simplest
case, start adding your other layers of complexity in until it breaks.

2. Isolating a bug into a simplified module will save many hours, if not
days of our time when we try and debug the cause of the problem.

When you get to this point, post the simplified module, plus a log file
illustrating the problem occurring including commentary of what you
expected to happen.

Regards,
Brent.