[messages] [Module Design] Follow-Up to Grid Numbering Problems

Rommel14 pfell.688 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 01:35:12 CEST 2014

Brent,

Ahem... :oops:  :roll:

I think I have figured out part of the problem.  The reason that the
counter was not moving immediately and was not reversing direction
immediately was due to the placement of a Set GP trait.  This GP sets
the numerical suffix of the next Region name on that track (for example
Track1, Track18, etc.).  Since the GP was not be incrementing the suffix
number BEFORE the move happened, the counter was seeing the track's
starting / current value, NOT the value of the Region to which it should
move.  I hope that made sense.

At the same time, I am still at a loss regarding my Triggers firing
based on the location that a counter is LEAVING.  This has been the case
for me across multiple modules, new and old, so it appears to be part of
the VASSAL code.  Can someone tell me if VASSAL is designed to work this
way all the time?  If so, no problem, I'll just figure that into my
code.  If VASSAL should be firing Triggers when a counter ENTERS a
location, then I'll keep looking for a reason why my modules don't do
this.

BTW, I've dumped all rect. grids from my modules at this point and am
just using Irreg. Grids with named Regions.  This allows me to name each
Region and have better control over automation, even if I have to
include more code.  I'm not working with any modules that use maps made
entirely of rectangular / hex grids right now anyway, so it's not a
show-stopping issue.

Thanks again for any help with this, and sorry for prematurely pulling
the fire alarm.  That's what I get for programming when I have a cold!