[messages] [Developers] Custom class version checks

uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Sun Jul 27 13:37:34 CEST 2014

The module which prompted my original question---a popular one which we
don't host---is fixed now.

I wrote a script to check the versions of class files in the modules we
host. I found that the current versions of the following modules have
class files compiled for Java 6:

  A Victory Denied
  Karelia '44
  Malifaux
  Red Star Rising
  Star Fleet Battle Force
  Star Trek: Expeditions
  Star Trek: Fleet Captains
  The Devil's Cauldron
  1914: Twilight in the East
  Waterloo (AH)
  OCS Baltic Gap
  OCS The Blitzkrieg Legend
  OCS Case Blue/Guderian's Blitzkrieg II
  OCS DAK2
  OCS Korea
  OCS Tunisia
  OCS Reluctant Enemies

This is few enough that we could contact the maintainer of each module
and ask that a new version be released with compatible class files,
giving them a bit of time to do it before we do a release which adds the
class check. This way should minimize the impact of the change on
everyone involved.

So, my plan is, today:

  * Release 3.2.13 without the class check.
  * Notify the maintainers of these modules to fix them.

Then, sometime in the future:

  * Release 3.2.14 with the class check.

Thanks, everyone, for commenting on this. It's important that we get
right things which could affect so many users.