[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] VASSAL won't open

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Jul 29 14:22:25 CEST 2014

Thus spake roger-e:
> Ok, rebooted, opened VASSAL, quit it, then checked Task Manager.  This
> is what it showed this time:
>
> Java(TM) Platform Binary

The problem that you're having is that Java is not exiting when you
exit VASSAL, which then prevents you from starting VASSAL a second
time. So far as we can tell, this is due to bug in Java on Windows.

We have at least one example of Java 6 and Java 7 being installed at
once causing the behavior you're seeing:

  http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6f15c/7343

In that case, the solution was to uninstall one of the versions of
Java.

Do you have two versions of Java installed?