[messages] [Module Design] GKC and location==$location$?

Tim M timothy.mccarron at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 12 21:27:05 CEST 2014

"grouchysmurf" wrote:
> Yeah, I thought this might be the case BUT check the out the
> documentation for GKC piece trait (piece trait, not that from the
> map):
>
> _A leader counter and infantry counters both have Marker traits to
> specify their nationality and type.  A Layer trait represents the
> rallied state of an infantry counter, uses CTRL A to activate the
> layer, and uses Rally as the name.  A Global Key Command on the
> leader counter can select and rally all infantry counters within two
> hexes of the same nationality that are not rallied by specifying
> Range=2 and matching properties type=Infantry && nation=$nation$ &&
> Rally_Active=false._
>
> As I read it, $nation$ originates from the piece triggering the GKC --
> as in my case. It is then passed to the target piece and the condition
> is evaluated.

No, Sebaestschjin explained it correctly. And his how to was 1 correct
way of solving your problem.

Citing the example - How can only one property (in this case the value
of "nation" be resolved on the originating piece and passed on to other
pieces and yet the other properties in the expression are not passed on?
Why do you think this happens and what in the example lead you to
believe this?

Either the values of infantry/nation/Rally_Active evaluate from the
values on the original piece and all are passed on to other pieces or
they are evaluated on all the pieces individually in the context of
those pieces. (I'll take the latter for $1000 Alex).

> Which implies that either documentation is screwed up or generic
> traits are not properly processed by the GKC -- contrary to the custom
> (i.e. nation) ones.

I don't know what this means but the documentation is correct in its
example. By generic traits do you mean the system properties Vassal is
providing as in (again from the example) "Range" and "Rally_Active"?
Does the documentation need more clarity if you felt it was incorrect?

There is no difference between a system property and an added custom
property (via marker trait for instance) as far as processing goes
though.

Which leads me to ask were you originally thinking that "location" is a
system property and thus why you thought it was not working properly?
"location" is not a system property.

A list of all the system properties you can access is here
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Faq_mo ... ounters.3F[1]

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Faq_modules#What_.27system.27_properties_are_returned_by_counters.3F