[messages] [Module Design] Internet dice button

KenH1967 kenh1967 at gmail.com
Wed May 14 19:38:27 CEST 2014

In the case that anyone is interested:

I've searched through the history of this forum and see that there are
several threads discussing this issue over the years.  Most seem focused
on live play, not PBeM.  I am personally focused on coming up with a way
to validate dice rolls via a 3rd party dice roller during PBeM logs.
However, I have not found anything focused on this issue, nor any
solutions.  I get the idea, though, that this is not a quick fix or even
possible without major programming intervention...  (btw, I am fairly
clueless when it comes to Java)

The only hope that I have is to learn from the old extension called,
"Webdice" (can be found here:  http://vasl.info/extensions.htm[1])

When I run it within the Advanced Squad Leader module (VASL), and after
typing "test" into the chat window then hitting the webdice button, this
is what I get:

 - Roll sent to Bones Dice Server
 - Emailing ken at gmail.com[2] (Subject:  test)
- Internet dice roll attempt test failed.

So, it is trying to connect to the internet.  And, it somehow knows my
email address (ken at gmail.com[3] isn't my real one-- I changed it for
this post).  It also grabs the text out of the chat window perfectly.  I
just need to figure out how to modify the internet address that it is
trying to connect to, assuming the "Bones Dice Server" is no longer
active...

Will keep learning as I go.  If anyone can give me some pointers or
feedback, much appreciated.

Ken

[1] http://vasl.info/extensions.htm
[2] mailto:ken at gmail.com