[messages] [Module Design] Basic Fog of War

HorribleHagaar hagaaar587plus7 at googlemail.com
Thu May 15 13:54:16 CEST 2014

Hi there,

I'm trying to design my first module and run into some issues... I've
read the design manual and tried searching the forums / internet to get
some pointers. However, most of the threads / examples, were highly
specific and tbh probably to complicated for a beginner like myself...
:D
So I thought I'd just ask here, I'm just looking for pointers which way
would be the easiest to achieve the functionality, not a full solution.

Ok, so the game I'm trying to design in vassal is somewhat of a homebrew
thing a friend of mine came up with, and is still in development, but I
think for the question I have, details arent really relevant.

Finally.. here's my question:
Which method would be the easiest to create a "fog of war" system?

Basically, I want the map/board to be shaded/covered except for the
starting spots of the players, as they move around the board, they
reveal the map. For now, all the players will see the same map, its just
about "removing" the fog from the areas they've visited (plus a fixed
radius).

I've tried map shading combined with an area of effect trait for game
pieces, but this "re-shades" the board tiles that were already revealed,
once the tile is out of the radius of the area of effect trait...

I've read something about zones and masking, but not sure if this would
be the easiest way to accomplish what I'm looking for. If somebody could
give me a hint which methods/functions/properties to use, I'd greatly
appreciate it!

Thanks in advance