[messages] [Module Design] Hints and tricks request -- calculated counters in a zone

grouchysmurf lgrabun at gmail.com
Sat May 31 20:52:36 CEST 2014

This topic has been thoroughly discussed and thanks to Rindis we may
enjoy a working, viable and elegant solution
(viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7279[1]).

In game of Unhappy King Charles a leader can lead a number of brigades
-- those are kept on a separate board, called Player Card. A player
would keep the counters in a named box -- a box corresponds to a leader
who, in turn, is moved on the board itself. This concept helps to keep
away the clutter and also provides a fog of war -- while players are
allowed to examine the number of brigades under each leader, the
opponent should not know upfront what is the exact combat strength of
the leaders army.

In the module I want to add a function of displaying number of brigades
a leader has under his command. Rindis' method will work but there is
BUT.

According to the rules, a leader can subordinate another leader -- this
is represented by placing the counter of the latter in a command box of
the former. Brigades lead by the latter are kept in his box, they are
not mixed in one command box. I augmented Rindis' method by adding a
calculated property 'brigades' to the leader in which I store number of
lead brigades. When a leader is moved to a command box of another
leader, trigger increases the other leader number of lead brigades. This
works fine.

The problem is when someone -- probably due to combat losses or
attrition -- removes a brigade from the first command box i.e. the one
belonging to the SUBORDINATED leader. The value of 'brigade' trait is
updated -- but Rindis' method fails in that it does not update the value
of the number of the brigades lead by the SUBORDINATING general.

I found no simply solution for that and the question is twofold:

1. Is there a simple fix for the problem I described above? Maybe
Rindis' method can be somehow enhanced to support also the concept of
subordination?
2. If I were to write a dedicated Java code (my programming skills are
pretty limited, I know perl to some extent, Pascal and redcode, but the
latter does not count in this context), where do I need to look? What I
would like to achieve, is to have a single property on each leader which
would represent number of lead brigades. The number is a sum of brigades
he leads directly and number of brigades lead by general he has
subordinated. The chain command has just one level of subordination i.e.
a general cannot be subordinated to a general who already is
subordinated to someone else. How complicated, you envision, a Java code
which would support that, would be?

Cheers!

[1] http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7279