[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] Duplicate Card Drawn in Kingmaker (v1.0)

mkiefte mkiefte at dal.ca
Mon Sep 1 00:37:52 CEST 2014

> Had a game of Vassal for the first time and got a bit of a bug ... I
> drew the lord called Roo, then my opponent drew the same card with his
> next card from the Crown Deck?
>
> Lord cards are unique and having checked the module, there is only one
> card ... so how has it duplicated during the deck draw?

I get a lot of bugs like this for the Twilight Struggle module so I'm
somewhat glad to see it happens elsewhere.  I've spent a lot of time
trying to track down this bug, but it's rare enough that I have never
ever seen it personally. In addition, there's only a few contexts in
which it really has a very obvious impact and unique cards and units is
one of them.

The Holy Grail would be to have a .vlog file where this happens but I've
never gotten one.  I've seen a lot of .vsav files which show the
duplicates, but I don't have anything that shows how it happened.

I've looked at a lot of VASSAL code trying to track down this bug, but I
can't find it.  I have a number of theories but I still haven't been
able to track it down.

I possibility is that it's a concurrency problem as VASSAL is not
particularly thread safe.  But again, I can't find anything in
particular in the code.

- M.

P.S.: I think it's Roos, not Roo.