[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] "Mask" and "Restricted Access" traits in a multi-side stack

Chatmourai cmassaloux at free.fr
Mon Sep 1 17:46:16 CEST 2014

Hi again, proud Vassal team !

This is another suspected-bug report, for which I also provide a demo
module, but this time with a tutorial-like demo file.

My config:
Compaq 8510w laptop, with an Intel Core2 duo CPU T8100 @ 2.1GHz and 4
GBytes RAM
Video card AMD/ATI] RV630/M76 [Mobility Radeon HD 2600]
OS Linux Kubuntu (Precise) 12.04, Kernel linux 3.2.0-61-generic-pae +
KDE 4.8.5
Java version 1.6.0_31 from Sun Microsystems Inc.
Vassal v 3.2.13 (latest at the time of writing)

The issue is tightly related with the "Mask" and the "Restricted Access"
counter traits, that I both use in my developping module.
There are two player sides. Each player can only interact (add, move,
select menus, delete) with its own counters.
Thanks to the "Restricted Access" trait, it is not possible to add,
move, select menus or delete the opponent's counters.
Additionnaly, the counters have to be concealed from the opponent's view
until both sides come to contact somewhere on the map.
Then both players have to reveal their own counters and a "battle" is
resolved.

While testing my new module I suddenly stumbled on the following strange
behaviour:
Take a stack of counters of both sides (a "battle"). All counters are
revealed.
Then put one of your (upside) counter on top of the stack, select the
whole stack (not only your topmost counter), and select the "Mask" menu
command.
All your own counters will turn on backside, which is expected.
But, more interestingly, all the opponent's counters will also turn
backside as well, which is not supposed to happen since the "Restricted
Access" trait should forbid it, just like it does when trying to turn a
lonely (upside) opponent's counter.

You will find here-attached a small test module that reproduce the
issue, and demonstrate it by mean of small tutorial-like log file.

I personnaly think this is not a serious bug (if ever it is) because
your opponent can only conceal your own counters which is not a
"security breach", but it seems to me that I should bring it to your
knownledge.

Best regards, and keep on the great work !

Christophe
cmassaloux at free.fr[1]

[1] mailto:cmassaloux at free.fr