[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] HTML Help File - Bug suspected

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Sep 2 21:11:49 CEST 2014

Thus spake Chatmourai:

> So, finally, to answer your first question: Yes, there is a file
> "/tmp/VASSAL/help/Online_Help/DummyHelpPage.html" although I'm not sure
> at what moment it was dropped here (I mean before or after Vassal tried
> to find it)

The normal way for that file to be created is on extraction from the
module---which lookls like it's happening successfully. All of this
looks ok.

You mentioned that you're using KDE. I think the bug you're facing is
due to Java's braindead way of handling desktop integraiton:

  http://java-hamster.blogspot.de/2007/06/troubles-with-javaawtdesktop-browse.html
  http://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6486393

The solution to this problem will come with VASSAL 4 when we stop using
Java. I don't see that there's much else we can do until then; submit
a workaround patch if you want, though. The relevant code is in
VASSAL.tools.BrowserSupport.openURL(), which you can see is already
quite gnarly with workarounds due to our dependencies being unreliable
garbage.