[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] ReadMe files issue?

mycenae ed at crucible.cc
Sun Sep 7 20:11:11 CEST 2014

My modules have custom ReadMe files, usually displayed on the Help menu
under Getting Started.

I'm using 3.2.13. If I update and replace the readme file in the module,
and then go to save the module, Vassal barfs, with this message.

"java.io.IOException: Unable to overwrite C:<path>\mayday_2.0.vmod:
Data written to C:<path>tmp6607132688920865038.zip instead."

A temp file is created (tmp*.zip). When I open the original module, I
can see a default ReadMe file in place of the custom one. The default
plain text file begins, "The VASSAL Team is happy to announce the
release of VASSAL 3.2.13, which which [sic] fixes several problems found
in earlier versions."

This completely overwrites my custom file in the vmod file.

Here's what I'm doing:
1. Updating the readme in a text editor.
2. Opening an existing module.
3. In the Module Editor, under Help menu node, select the Getting
Started item, then browse to the updated readme.
4. Save the module. Upon clicking save, the error message is returned.
(There is more text in the message, but is omitted from this post.)

I get the same issue if I rename the custom ReadMe file from ReadMe to
GettingStarted or whatever. It always replaces my custom text file with
the default one and doesn't let me add new plain text files to the help
menu without getting this issue.

Any thoughts on this?