[messages] [Technical Support & Bugs] installing Vassal on Ubuntu-eee linux

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri Sep 12 16:49:27 CEST 2014

Thus spake lauffenp:
> echo $PATH:
> rtrns:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
>
> java is installed: /usr/java/jre1.7.0_67

This is why it's not working. Your shell looks in the directories listed
in $PATH for programs which you try to execute without any relative or
absolute path components specified. So, when you try to run java (or,
when VASSAL.sh tries to run java), your shell looks in /usr/local/sbin,
/usr/local/bin, and so on.

If you have java installed in /usr/java/jre1.7.0_67, there are several
things you could do to get that on your path.

What I would do is make a symbolic link from /usr/bin/java to
/usr/java/jre1.7.0_67/java:

  ln -s /usr/java/jre1.7.0_67/java /usr/bin/java

After doing that that, 'which java' should show you:

  /usr/bin/java

Alternatively, you could append /usr/java/jre1.7.0_67 to $PATH.

NB: I suspect that the java binary is in /usr/java/jre1.7.0_67/bin,
not in /usr/java/jre1.7.0_67 as you reportred. You'll want to check
that, and adjust the paths to match what you find. My instructions are
assuming /usr/java/jre1.7.0_67.