[messages] [Module Support] Pre-baked dice ROLLS and card draws for pbem, just 1989?

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Fri Apr 3 14:36:16 CEST 2015

Thus spake Itsastickup:

> I would be very happy if there was an option to pre-generate rolls and
> card distributions for those who would prefer that. Anything can be
> hacked, of course, but at least it would make things jolly difficult for
> people silly enough (or proud enough) to want to cheat.
>
> Programmatically it's simple to pre generate using a different seed
> (itself from a randomiser). A small amount of refactoring would be
> needed. But I don't know Java.

Taking rolls from a list generated at the start of the game is no more
secure than what we have now. I'm not willing to sink development time
into something which isn't a solution.

There are only two solutions I know of: (1) die rolls received from a
trusted third party, and (2) generating rolls by summing numbers
submitted by the players and mod'ing them by the number of sides on the
die. I intend to implement both of these in VASSAL 4.